Monday, June 23, 2008

Zazen

[It is not intended] that we get rid of all delusion, fantasies, or thoughts that come into our heads during zazen. Yet, if we go about pursuing these thoughts, we are sitting in the zazen posture thinking, and not doing zazen. Trying to get rid of our thoughts is just another form of fantasy. Zazen, understood as mind being innately one with all phenomena, is a means of seeing all things from the foundation of pure life, wherein we give up both pursuing thought and trying to chase it away. Then we see everything that arises as the scenery of our lives. We let arise whatever arises and allow to fall away whatever falls away.

Drop all relationships, set aside all activities. Do not think about what is good or evil, and do not try to judge right from wrong. Do not try to control perceptions or conscious awareness, nor attempt to figure out your feelings, ideas, or viewpoints. Let go of the the idea of trying to become a Buddha as well.
Dogen Zenji, Fukanzazengi

Kosho Uchiyama, The Tenzo Kyokun and Shikantaza

Doesn't each moment ask for the presentation of our life? Each time we can waste our time asking a different question, or we can "just practice." It is the study of what moves in moving, and what is still in stillness. --Bonnie Myotai Treace, "Will You Sit With Me?

This is from Triccyle's Daily Dharma. I am starting this blog by using quotes that I find useful and helpful in my practice.

So, to sit in Zazen is to sit and allow the stream of thoughts that are always present to just be - neither trying to stop them or following them to a "logical conclusion". To detach and watch out thoughts as we put our attention on our posture and our breath. I find it most difficult to not judge things as right or wrong. My process for now seems to be to catch myself judging things as good or bad and then moving on. Just noting that I am doing it. I can only have faith that, at some point, the judging will fall away.

There is always (or seems to be) two steps in my awareness during zazen and during daily life. I "do" and "act" in the world and then I note in thoughts what I have done. Along with the thoughts come feelings of course. so even when I am "just doing" (siting, breathing, walking) I notice that I am noticing that I am doing it and often judge it as a good or bad thing. Again, I assume this will fall away at it has in the past. Maybe this is something to bring up to Rubin.


No comments: